Number 7 on the countdown breaks up the hat monotony with Susanna IC's Swirling Gauntlets!
When I learned to knit, I only knew garter stitch, which led to boredom and about a 2 year hiatus. The one thing that got me back knitting was receiving my late Gradmother's vintage yarn and my late Great-Grandmother's knitting needles. With all those great supplies at my disposal, I went online for tips on how to use cricular needles and found Ravelry! This was the first pattern I tried that wasn't simply garter stitch. It was kind of jumping in the deep end for a beginner, but the fact that they were worked flat and seamed up made them feel less daunting, and the charts were written really well, which made it so much easier to understand how cables worked!
I made these gauntlets with some of my grandmother's vintage yarn. The yarn was so old that I can't even find information about the label online, but I remember it was called raspberry sparkle. The odd thing was, the label was camouflage... What about a sparkly fuschia yarn is camouflage, I will never know.
This is the only picture I have of my incarnation of the pattern, so excuse the poor quality!
The pattern picture is much more beautiful and does the pattern a lot more justice!
The great thing about this pattern is the ability to do some extra repeats and make a longer gauntlet, but something about the short gauntlet just looks so classy. I think it's because the cabled section is more evenly spaced between the ribs on either end.
About the Designer
Susanna IC is a self-declared yarn-obsessed stay at home mom. But don't let her humble self-introduction fool you, her designs are out of this world! She has been featured by Knitty, Interweave, and Knit Picks, as well as having her patterns in quite a few publications. Her shawls are simply out of this world, and if I were including shawls in this top ten list I would have been hard pressed to choose just one of her designs to include! But that, my dears, is a different list. :)
Love this pattern?
Check it out on ravelry here.
See more of Susanna IC's patterns here.
And her website Artqualia here.


No comments:
Post a Comment